in high school...i didn't have too many girlfriends. most of my friends were guys. girls were too catty and had high expectations. they would be quick to tell your secrets, and there were few i valued as true friends. but as i've "aged" my group of girlfriends has expanded. suddenly other girls and i are on the same page! and to be honest...i couldn't' be happier.
on sunday i went to a memorial service, or "celebration of life" party for my
high school art teacher, liz watson. she died of cancer a few weeks ago. as i stood there looking around my old high school i started thinking about the friends i had there, and how at the time they seemed the most important....and yet there are few that i talk with regularly now. i watched as three ladies stood up together to talk about liz watson. one of them had been my "maths" teacher and the others i didn't recognize. these three ladies and my esteemed art teacher had been friends...more than friends...sisters...one might even have called them soul mates. these ladies stayed with liz through all her treatments, and sat with her every night until she fell asleep when she was dying, and spent her last moments laughing and crying with her. they did all they could for her and it was truly more than anyone could hope for. to have women around you caring, and understanding...and to me it was one of those "hmm" moments that oprah is always talking about. the camaraderie of girlfriends is so important, i have a new respect and value for them. they are the ones that will be there through it all...even though there might be rough spots, in the end they will be there.
high school art teacher, liz watson. she died of cancer a few weeks ago. as i stood there looking around my old high school i started thinking about the friends i had there, and how at the time they seemed the most important....and yet there are few that i talk with regularly now. i watched as three ladies stood up together to talk about liz watson. one of them had been my "maths" teacher and the others i didn't recognize. these three ladies and my esteemed art teacher had been friends...more than friends...sisters...one might even have called them soul mates. these ladies stayed with liz through all her treatments, and sat with her every night until she fell asleep when she was dying, and spent her last moments laughing and crying with her. they did all they could for her and it was truly more than anyone could hope for. to have women around you caring, and understanding...and to me it was one of those "hmm" moments that oprah is always talking about. the camaraderie of girlfriends is so important, i have a new respect and value for them. they are the ones that will be there through it all...even though there might be rough spots, in the end they will be there. to all my girlfriends. you mean so much to me. i am there for you as i know you are for me. love you.
ps. um since the us dollar is virtually at par...anyone up for a target trip? ;)
3 comments:
great entry heather!
ps. i am so game for going to target!...there are some cute shoes that my bro's girlfriend just bought from tar-get! i need ;)
I completely agree that girlfriends as an essential part of life. It is a special thing that I don't think men even get to experience with their friends. With close girlfriends you love them like they are your family. You look out for them, cheer for them, and help ease the pain if need be. Being a woman is awesome!
p.s I would love to go to Target...lets do it up ladies! Hey I'm in NOTL next Sunday, you could always come down for lunch and we can go after. Just a thought!
Hey Heath!
I love this entry too! I even felt a wee emotional as I read. I think as we get older we come to realize just how special our girlfirends are. I feel that they are truly who we can relate too; even aside from the hubbies. I am so thankful we have stayed such good friends for so long....I also appreciate you giving this snotty 8th grader a second chance :P....I value our friendship so much.
xo
Post a Comment